MIDTERM: (due Thursday, January 19th) I’m posting this now given
the time constraints we’re under as an Intersession class.
4 – 5 pages, double-spaced, typed and stapled.
It is a research paper: 3 sources min. none can be Wiki.
I’ve created a list of suggestions that you can choose from. Pre-1700
1. We discussed both Plato and Aristophanes in our class. You can choose either a different Dialogue by Plato, or another play by an Athenian playwright. Analyze the work you have chosen and also explain how it helps us understand Ancient Greece. If you can, try to relate it to one of the themes of our class.
2. Choose your favorite painter. Write on 2 (or 3) of their paintings and tell me what you think the artist is trying to say to you within the painting. If you can, try to relate it to one of the themes of our class.
3. Do you have a favorite play (for example, something by Shakespeare)? Choose the main character of the play. Write about 1 of the 4 themes of our class and how the story of that character relates to the theme that you have chosen.
4. Do you have a favorite poet? Choose 2 of their poems and write about 1 of the 4 themes of our class. Explain how the meaning of each poem you’ve chosen relates to the theme that you have chosen.
5. Choose one of these plays by Shakespeare that is about Ancient Greece or Rome: Titus Andronicus, Julius Caesar, Timon of Athens, Antony and Cleopatra. Tell me how Shakespeare uses the values and ideas from the Greeks/Romans to help define his own culture (16th century England). Based on your research, also explain how it relates to 1 of the 4 themes that we explore in our class.
6. Choose 2 paintings by only 1 of the following artists:
Albrecht Durer, Caravaggio, Johannes Vermeer, Frans Hals, or Francisco Goya. Based on your research, explain what you believe the painting is about and how it relates to 1 of the 4 themes that we explore in our class. Do this for each painting by the one artist you have chosen.
Also, just to be clear: please don’t write on any of the works that
we’ve already discussed in class as examples. That includes the
2 “David” sculptures (Donatello, Michelangelo) as well as
“Judith Slaying Holofernes” (Donatello). It also includes the
statue of Augustus- “Pax Romana” / “Pax Augustus”. Also,
you cannot write on Da Vinci’s “Mona Lisa” and “Last
Supper”, as well as any works by Botticelli. Thanks.
– – – – – –