For this assignment, you can choose to watch one of the following videos upon which to base your assignment:
“Reauthoring Lives in the Face of Lost Dreams” (Michael White with Reflecting Team, run time 1 hr. 45 minutes).
“Escape from Bickering” (Michael White with Reflecting Team, run time 1 hr. 33 minutes).
Note: The links for the videos are available in the Week 7 resources area.Depending on your Internet speed you may have to wait up to 60 seconds for the video to buffer and start playing after clicking the play button.
Of course, you are encouraged to watch both videos for the learning value you would gain.
After watching the selected video, write a reflection paper. In the consultation on the video, the specific problems of the client family are addressed. Michael White and the Reflecting Team focus in on the issues presented. In your reflection paper, please address each of the following (use the bolded words as headers to organize your paper):
- In what ways does Michael White move to shift the meanings and beliefs of the clients? Cite three or more examples. Be specific and use the actual words and dialogue of the client and therapist to illustrate your examples.
- In what ways does Michael White seek to restructure client interactions or direct the client to change his or her behavior? Cite three or more examples. Be specific and use the actual words and dialogue of the client and therapist to illustrate your examples. How effective were Michael White’s interventions into the meanings and directed behavior change? Were you convinced that these methods were working?
- Comment on your impressions of the use of the Reflecting Team. What purpose did the Team serve? Was it effective? Cite examples supporting you perceptions. How might you use the idea of a reflecting team without necessarily having one (they are a bit too expensive for a private or agency practice)?
- Social constructionist therapists work to stabilize, normalize, and create acceptance in clients as methods of solving the concerns of clients. They also focus on strengths and resiliency. Cite at least two or more examples, in detail, where you witnessed this strategy.
- How could mental health recovery concepts be applied to the case in the video you selected?
Association for Advanced Training in the Behavioral Sciences (AATBS) materials
Review materials related to the model
Gehart, D. R. (2014) Mastering competencies in family therapy
Read Chapter 10 (the part that covers Narrative Therapy)
Create Speaker Notes. Microsoft.
Narrative Therapy Centre of Toronto – Resources
White, M. Escape from Bickering. Click on the link and enter the password – NCU123.
PowerPoint – Chapter 10 Pomo MCFT
Chapter 10 Pomo MCFT.pptx
Reauthoring a life in the face of lost dreams, video transcript.
White, M. (2012, September 14). Reauthoring a life in the face of lost dreams [Video File].