Folkways, Mores, and Taboos Paper
In this paper, you will be discussing a folkways, mores, and taboos. Please address the following in your paper:
- Folkways: What is a folkway that you have broken? Did you receive any sanctions for violating this folkway?
- Mores: Discuss a violation of a mores that could also be considered a folkway for another culture or subculture. What are the sanctions for conforming? What are the sanctions for violating this norm?
- Taboo: Discuss a hypothetical scenario where you break a taboo in American society. What are the sanctions for violating this norm?
- How do these norms challenge or uphold values in the United States?
- Discuss how the folkway, more, and taboo you chose connect to a theoretical perspective in sociology (i.e. symbolic interactionism, functional analysis, conflict theory).
- Discuss how we are socialized into understanding the folkway, more, and taboo you chose.
You may organize your paper in any order, as long as it is organized and flows well from one topic to the next.
- 12 point, Times New Roman font
- 1” margins on all sides of the page
- Citations must be in ASA or APA format