Analyze the two messages of “The Outcasts of Poker Flat,” By Bret Harte (1869) and “Chickamauga” by Ambrose Bierce (1889). Compare or contrast the theme, perspective, etc. of the author/narrator of each work. Cite these distinguishing features to defend your critical argument about the texts, and support your claims with at least two scholarly secondary sources (at least one from a library) and the primary text. Discuss the elements of both types of writing within the context of Literary Realism. In terms of technique, how does each work (or like works) fall into this literary movement? Then define and analyze the themes and ideas of two selections from above. The key to successfully completing this assignment is defending a specific argument about how the two narratives make a specific argument about the American condition within the specified time period: The end of the 19th Century. .
The essay must:
- Be two to three pages in length.
- Develop a traditional introduction that ends with a clear thesis statement that gives direction and purpose to the essay.
- Develop a conclusion that reinforces the essay’s main ideas in an original manner.
- Be formatted according to APA style, 6th edition.
- Use at least two scholarly resources (at least one from the a Library) other than the textbook to support your claims and sub-claims.
- Demonstrate the correct use and citation of resources within the entire text and on the reference page.
References: Cain, W., McDermott, A., Newman, L., & Wyss, H. (Eds.). (2014). American Literature: Volume2 (2nd ed.). Boston, Mass: Pearson.