Chapter 9 of our text goes into depth about the importance of fluency instruction. In Section 9.2, the author lists five different methods for helping children to become more fluent readers (Coats, 2013). For this discussion, find your assigned method for improving fluency instruction below, according to the first letter of your last name:
- A – G: Modeling fluent reading
- H – L: Read, Re-read, Repeat
- M – Q: Echo/Choral Reading
- R – V: Phrased Reading
- W – Z: Reader’s Theater
For the method you are assigned, discuss the following three questions:
- How can you incorporate this idea into your classroom?
- What signs will you look for to indicate that this approach is improving fluency?
- How can you encourage and support parents to use these fluency strategies at home?