As a teacher, you need to have solid knowledge of formative and summative assessment and how each can help you ensure students are mastering key contents and skill. You also need to be able to take the information gleaned from assessments and make decisions that support the learning of all your students. This week, you will build on your previous assignment from last week and integrate the knowledge from your research and the readings.
Watch the following videos:
- Rick Wormeli: Formative and Summative Assessment
- TEDxSoCal – Dr. Brian Stecher – Cultivating Thriving Schools
Both videos examine the role of accountability and how they can and do impact our work in schools. Brian Stecher specifically discusses three indicators that drive everything that happens in schools, while Rick Wormeli outlines how different types of knowledge are assessed.
In this assignment, please address the following topics and questions:
- Analyze the roles of assessment and evaluation in school improvement and in measuring educational quality.
- Examine and explain your perspectives on the roles and trends related to assessment in education.
- Evaluate the value of both types of assessment and, specifically, the role you see assessment playing in your classroom.
- Evaluate the roles of both formative and summative assessment in the classroom. How does each form of assessment support learning? In what ways can the teacher use the data from assessments to influence learning in the classroom?
- Review your work from your Week Four Assignment and provide specific details of what you see as the next step in developing an assessment for the Common Core State Standard you identified in the activity you presented.