In the past unit we studied advanced information systems and their failures that arose in part because of the complexities of the advanced systems. Beginning with the sixties, the industry has started to explore different system development life cycle methodologies to deal with systems complexities. The software crisis continued into the eighties, nineties and beyond. In the last two decades, system development life cycle methodologies have continued to improve the success rate, especially when they are running in tandem with a good project management strategy. While system development methodologies deal with the engineering efforts, the project management deals with the project planning, scheduling of resources and the risk management of them. IT management understands that good project management cannot guarantee success, but poor management of advanced information systems always leads to failure.
The learning outcome for this unit involves the process of developing an information system (IS) for an organization. There are many factors involved in this process, including core activities and the methodologies for managing the process. Project management plays a part as well. Additionally, IS development does not happen in a silo; there is also the business side to consider as part of the process.
Research two articles concerning information systems development and project management. Drawing on these two articles, your textbook, and other sources, write an essay that addresses the following:
1. Provide a well-formulated thesis statement in your introduction paragraph.
2. Explain how a business user could be involved in the core activities of building an information system.
3. Analyze how software development methodologies (such as agile development) can work in tandem with project management for the benefit of both information systems development projects and organizations.
4. Evaluate how project managers and/or IT managers can ensure that information system development projects are in alignment with business strategies and goals.
5. Summarize your findings in a five-page paper using proper APA formatting.
APA Format – Five Pages in length *1500 words
The post Explain how a business user could be involved in the core activities of building an information system. appeared first on Dissertation Help Service.